Session mismanagement

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 30 09:40:41 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 08:14, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Me and my 798 session files would like to know whats going on here...
> This came to head when I was trying to figure out why randomly gimp would
> start a few instances every time i logged in.  Well I decided I would
> remove it from my session directory, since it usually gets filled up over a
> few weeks.... Well in the last 3 weeks I have generated 798 files in there.
>   A few KSirc, a whole mess of konsoles (none actually appear at login),
> 648 konqis, and about 3 kwalletmanagers.
>
> 	Now is this normal?

 Not really, but it's not surprising either. It usually happens when you don't
exit KDE cleanly. Does it happen for you also when cleanly exiting KDE?
That'd be a bug somewhere in ksmserver then. But I just logged in and out a
few times, and the only files in the directory are from the last session.

>  Does anyone acutally use session management?

 Are you kiding?

> Should we maby provide a way to clean things up?
>
> Any ideas would be nice.

 I think ksmserver should know about all session files that are still
important, as it's ksmserver who removes the no longer used files. If you
file a report at b.k.o, I might have a look somewhen, but I don't consider
this that important.

--
Lubos Lunak