new resolver code nearing completion

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.info
Mon Sep 29 19:25:39 BST 2003

Hello,

the new resolver code I have been working on for the past few months has been
stable for quite a few months now for me. I deem it thus to be nearly
complete. However, as I had said in a previous mail, I don't even know if it
will compile in other platforms (other than Linux).

Some people have been helping me by compiling the code and running. Judging by
their feedback, I believe the code is behaving well for them too, without
side-effects.

However, the socket code that accompanies this resolver code is at a halt,
even though it's quite advanced. I do not think it will be ready for KDE 3.2.
The resolver code, on the other hand, should be included. It even fixes one
of our long outstanding bugs, in which asynchronous DNS lookups were
impossible. (it also adds a workaround for buggy DNS servers, which is
impossible with the current code)

In all, I think it is time more people started using this code. The ideal
thing would be for this to be part of Qt as it was designed to be. But since
Qt 3.2 has already been released, I don't think it will be included before
their next major release (3.3 or 4.0). The next best thing would be to
ressurrect the kdeqt-addon CVS module. Failing that, a subdir in kdelibs will
make do.

In one way or another, the library has to be compiled before libkdecore, since
the socket code in there uses this new code.

What does everyone think? I might add that 3.2 beta 1 is coming up and I'd
like to have developers try the code for at least a week before we release
beta 1.

PS: the library will be marked private so that we can still make BC changes as
the API evolves.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358