Textfile classification (encoding, languages etc.)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 28 21:38:25 BST 2003

On Sunday 28 September 2003 17:33, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Friday 26 September 2003 23:24, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > the language guessed for
> > > the current paragraph could be indicated by a flag in the status
> > > bar with a context menu to change it
> >
> > Funny. I had exactly the same idea a few days ago. So, obviously I
> > like your idea. ;-)
>
> I guess people will not understand that there's a context menu, so
> maybe a combo box in the toolbar is better.

We already have the "crypto plugin" combo box in the toolbar. If we now
add the language combo box then the toolbar will be much too wide for
people with small screens. Just showing the flag in the combobox
doesn't work because there are several dictionaries for some languages,
so the combo box will have to contain the full description of the
dictionaries. And this makes this combo box very wide.

An alternative would be to add the language selection the same way as
the Identity selection and the Sent-mail folder selection, etc.. This
is what I would prefer because people who don't need it can simply turn
it off and people who need it can switch the language with the mouse
wheel. The only disadvantage: This would reduce the available space for
the message editor.

Regards,
Ingo