kioexec

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Fri Sep 26 14:03:12 BST 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 14:02, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> Andras, the reason it isn't built by default is that it is busted.
Not at all, it was a mistake from me when moving it.

> When you click an an exec:/ link
That's not handled by kioexec.

> it's supposed to check if the request was
> made from off a local or remote html file before executing the application.
exec:/ links are only supported within the Konqueror about part.
There is no KIO support for exec links, since there is no exec.protocol defined.

> The problem comes in when it tests for this condition. A change in the
> kio-framework a while back changed the output of the call that kioexec uses
> to test this. Because of this, it never sees that the file is local, only
> remote, and then prompts your with a security pop-up explaining the dangers
> of clicking a link that calls a local application.
>
> While it's argueably more secure teh way it is now, this is far from teh
> behaviour that kioexec was supposed to do.
Are you talking about file:/ links in KHTMLPart ?

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer