Textfile classification (encoding, languages etc.)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Sep 25 21:17:52 BST 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 15:54, Malte Starostik wrote:
> I didn't know Enchant, looks interesting, provided our frontend to
> the frontend would stay reasonably small.

It would be pretty much the same as the one we'd have to write from
scratch. Enchant uses stl and we'd want our api to expose Qt containers
so we'd have to wrap everything that we'd want to use anyway. So the
version using Enchant would look exactly like the version we'd have if
we decided to write it from scratch. The only difference is that we
wouldn't have to be writting our own ispell/aspell/pspell/myspell
backends but then again we actually do might want to do that.

> I've based the implementation on the Linuga::Ident perl module which
> uses tri- and bigrams. "Based on" means a bit more than a plain
> perl-C++ translation and a bit less than a complete rewrite. It's
> damn small but reliable.

Hey, I'd love to see it. Maybe we could create a language module in
kdenonbeta where you could put your work and I'd start working there on
the new kspell version?

Zack

--
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.