Textfile classification (encoding, languages etc.)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Sep 25 20:42:41 BST 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 15:06, Malte Starostik wrote:
> While all of this might be a bit of overkill in many cases, I think
> it would also make KDE shine even more in international and
> especially multilingual environments.  What do you think?

Fascinating idea. I'd definitely be willing to spend a lot of time on
that.

> PS: any comments on making KSpell use libaspell or pspell instead of
> an external process if available?

Oh, yeah, I'll be rewriting it once I'll get some more time. Laurent
wrote kospell which kind of does this but keeps the KSpell api and
makes creating new backends rather a pain. I like Enchant, but I'm
still not too keen on the Glib dependency. I like how instead of using
the ispell process they simply wrote it as a library and are using it.
We should do the same so that instead of using kprocess we use the
libraries directly.
So, we might meet on irc or start a discussion at some point and decide
whether we want to write a completely new implementation - we have
enough of use cases and after spending too much time with kspell and
other spell checkers I know what's needed so I'd vote for that. We can
also use Enchant. The problem with that is that we would have to write
our frontend to it anyway, which would pretty much end up with #1 but
witch Enchant as the only backend.
But anyway, what algorithm are you using to detect the languages? Is it
regexp based or is something more fun? You definitely got my full
attention.

Zack

--
I don't care WHO you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm
fishing.