Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Troels Tolstrup troels at tolstrup.org
Tue Sep 23 00:39:50 BST 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 16:15, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Second, yes, you very easily can do that through plain text files, and
> get perfectly decent response times to such a query even on a P90 with
> 10.000 recipes. Do the math, at a 2KB per recipe (which is a very
> generous estimation), it's 20Mb to grep through. A P90 will do that in
> seconds.

[SNIP]

> That doesn't mean it can't be done with just a bunch of text files
> (something which, BTW, no Windows app ever does : it's primarily a
> cultural problem, not an implementation one).

Sure it can be done as a bunch of text files, i haven't seen anyone disagree
with that.

But i fail to see why anyone would want to do it that way since it means
that you would basically have to reinvent the wheel each time you want to
store some data, especially if you need to perform more than just simple
searches.

I could understand the resistance if the idea was that the user should be
running a MySQL server or something like that, but this is a simple
embedded database. It could just as well have been a library that made you
able to store and search in a bunch of text files so the programmer could
treat it like a form of database, but that is what this really is af as i
can tell, only that it stores the data in a binary file instead of in
multiple text files, and sql was chosen as the interface language.

Seems like a highly useful feature to me.

Mvh
Troels