Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Sun Sep 21 10:38:42 BST 2003

Am Sonntag, 21. September 2003 10:19 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> On Sunday 21 September 2003 11:32, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > So, the author pf the app can either create an app that will have
> > trouble finding users, or have trouble kicking a text file into
> > doing his bidding.
>
> You are completely right. KDE apps trying to deal with SQL databases rely
> on the user to configure their mysql/postgresql server. But a regular user
> in most cases is not a system administrator. Providing some way that still
> allows the programmer to use SQL databases from his KDE app, but which
> doesn't require a (somewhat) hard to set up database server would be very
> welcome. VB is an example (I didn't use it), Borland Delphi/Kylix is
> another one. It very easy to develop DB applications with it and the end
> user doesn't have to do anything else, but install the application and run
> it.

There's another example of such an app:
Prokyon (http://prokyon3.sourceforge.net/),
a Qt app to manage mp3s and oggs with favourites, playlist generation and so on.

Here's how they do it:
It uses MySQL and expects a running server.
Setup of the DB for prokyon is offered inside the app if you have the
DB admin login data
(for creating a schema, a prokyon user and the needed tables)

But the hurdle the user has to overcome is there
(of already having a running MySQL server around) ...
so they are thinking about distributing an embedded version of MySQL
with their program.

I'm not sure if this would be possible/desirable for KDE though (LGPL vs. GPL)...

Christian.