Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Tim Jansen tim at tjansen.de
Sun Sep 21 13:34:32 BST 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 07:10, Brad Hards wrote:
> OK, so libsqlite would be a dependency to build qsqlite, which would
> optionally build based on the presence of libsqlite.
> Does it really need to go into kdelibs? kdelibs is getting pretty large. Is
> it worth starting a new module for these "enhancement" things. Plus its
> GPL, and most (all?) of kdelibs is LGPL.

Sooner or later we need a more modular way for libraries. The number of
KDE-specific dependencies grows, with things like this driver or TagLib. As
these libraries are often not restricted to a single top-level module, you
either need to compile all libraries before you start compiling the
applications, or there needs to be some way to compile libraries on demand.

So IMHO add KDE-specific libraries to kdelibs until somebody bothers enough
about compiling libraries for applications that he does not need and
contributes a modular solution :)

bye...