Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Sun Sep 21 12:39:40 BST 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 11:08:31AM +0200, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > Yes, all of these can be implememnted by grepping a few text files.
> > But
> >
> > a) That doesn't scale
>
> It scales more than enough for the amount of data a typical user will ever
> have to handle.

agreed.

> > b) That's ugly ;-)
>
> Who cares, we need something which works, is easy to maintain and reliable.

fully agreed. imo sql is just crap crap crap
(for this app domain, though personally i
 just hate it for everything, non relational
 xml dbs are just way cuter...)

> > c) That's actually harder!
>
> Come on. It can become harder if you actually have fairly complex queries to
> do. In most cases, it won't.

its the serialization thats the bitch, complex
queries just aren't very frequent, and if they
are you usually just did some terrible app/db
design.

serialization isn't tackled well at all in kde at
the moment. maybe people should think of this problem
(versioning, large data sets that shouldn't need to
be fully deserialized etc) rather than adding this
sql crap to kde apps.

basically we need lazy-loading persistance
for hashs, and more complex data structures

(qt base types, and some serialisation methods
 for your own stuff, yet more virtuals would
 suck though, not sure of the best way of
 doing this in c++, interfaces would be nice...).

oh yeah. and i like invented terminology,
i don't have a clue about this app domain
from a non practical perspective.

mvg,
Alex