Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Sep 21 08:38:32 BST 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 04:11, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> While Qt has gained in versions 3.x a decent support for the development
> of applications that require access to databases, it is rare to find a KDE
> app that uses that support.
>
> Why? Because the drivers included with Qt are for databases that require
> some administration, and thus are not a realistic requirement for a
> regular user.

Another reason could be : because no KDE application has any need for a DB. I
can't think of any existing KDE app which would have a use for it.

DBs are useful when you need to sort through massive amounts of data in
various ways. In most cases, given today's machines power, grepping through a
flat text file will be more than enough to satisfy the data-related needs of
an application.

So while I think a nice DB driver could always be useful, I'm afraid that it
will be overused in ways akin to "using a hammer to break an egg".

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org