KUser -> kdecore

Ravikiran Rajagopal ravi at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 18 23:52:04 BST 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 05:36 pm, Tim Jansen wrote:

> I'de like to move the class KUser to kdecore. You can currently find it in
> kdenetwork/krfb/srvloc/
> (http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdenetwork/krfb/srvloc/).
>
> The class offers a object-oriented interface to the getuid(2), geteuid(2)
> and getpwnam(3) POSIX functions and is able to parse GECOS fields
> correctly.

I'd like to see this moved as well, as I use something similar in ksplashml.
Why does it use a pimpl? [1] As a general rule, I'd prefer that we not use
pimpls unless necessary as operator new can be expensive.

Regards,
Ravi

[1] The only reasons I can think of are thread safety and rollback semantics
if operator new throws an exception. However, those would require a little
more effort, and we don't worry about such things in KDE anyway.