kdedirs design

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Sep 16 02:56:26 BST 2003

   Does anyone have a suggestion for kdedirs design to avoid the following
problem?

  - User installs KDE in /usr
  - User installs ksomeapp in /usr
  - User installs new version of ksomeapp from source in /usr/local and
forgets about the one in /usr
  - User wonders why features are missing from the application and plugins
don't work

   The problem is that KDE picks up the files in /usr first.  Can we reliably
detect this situation and warn/error out if the app is installed twice?  Can
we make the bin path correlate with the "primary" source for data (.rc files,
etc)?  Another suggestion?

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/