make maintainer-clean and distclean can not clean KDE sources properly

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon Sep 15 20:05:13 BST 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 09:58, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > In general, I'm of the opinion that you should always have a way to clean
> > everything you've generated.
>
> Then it's good we put CVS subdirs in the tar balls so that cvs-clean works?
> But bother the developers of kdelibs/arts - they should remove their
> dumping grounds from kdelibs CVS.

Debian e.g. has a policy to remove all CVS dirs as they're considered bloat
and unnecessary and besides that, what's the point of release tarballs if
anyone is required to use automake and autoconf to build the Makefile.in's
and configure ?

/admin already is bloated that for simple or mid-size projects it makes up to
80% of the tarball size, which is why I can understand people wanting to use
qmake. Games and small programs then can live with release tarballs that are
max. 80k.

Ralf

> Greetings, Stephan

Ralf Nolden