share your enthusiasm with our users.

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Sep 10 23:46:48 BST 2003

Aaron J Seigo writes:

> hi all...  with the release of KDE 3.2 approaching, i'd like to put
> together an article about the NEW things in KDE 3.2. i'll most
> likely write a small intro (1-2 paras) highlighting KDE in general,
> but then quickly segway into a trip through All That's New In 3.2

> here's what i'm
> looking for: a couple paragraphs (at most) explaining what your app
> does and why it's cool, interesting, useful, whatever. maybe why you
> wrote it, your favourite feature in it, or who your intended
> audience is/was. screenshots are also highly desireable.

> Kig

Hi, I'm the author of Kig..  Here's a text that I think should be what
you ask for..

Kig stands for KDE Interactive Geometry.  It is part of the KDE-Edu
project, and the successor to the older program KGeo.  It is meant to
allow high school students to interactively work with geometric
constructions.

In the last two years, it has been intensively developed, and
currently has most of the features of its competitors , is well
integrated into KDE, very intuitive and well documented ( I'm a bit
biased of course ;) ).

Currently, the coolest feature in Kig is the Python scripting, which
allows for cool things like this locus:
http://edu.kde.org/kig/kig-snap-sine-curve.png.  The next thing on the
list is the very flexible support for high-school geometry concepts
such as conics, transformations and locuses, which has for large parts
been contributed by the Italian professor Maurizio Paolini and a
friend of his.

I hope that's not too long for your purposes.  You are of course
welcome to edit it.  If it's too long, I think the last paragraph can
be left out or cut in half..

cheers
domi