KDE Jabber Server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Sep 8 12:14:49 BST 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:51:49AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> > > I would personaly suggest jabber.kde.org (like irc.kde.org)
> >
> > There is a difference, since username at jabber.kde.org is an identity. It
> > implies that you somehow belong to KDE, exactly like a kde.org address
> > does. Maybe not now, since no one knows Jabber, but assuming that it should
> > 'win' the IM war, it would. irc.kde.org is just a service.
>
> I'm quite neutral on this matter, however, I think using anything that has
> kde.org directly isn't that much in our interest. MSN doesn't use
> microsoft.com either.
>
> Isn't there something else that would make a jabber server, even if affiliated
> with KDE, more neutral ?

I personally think that having kde.org as a closed server to those with kde.org
accounts, and then users.kde.org, or kdeusers.org, or such, as an open server,
would be very good.

Let's face it, email is far more important than Jabber. Way more prominent, gets
archived in Google. Why don't we then give kde.org Jabber addresses to
complement the email addresses?

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org