KDE Jabber Server

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett duncan at kde.org
Sun Sep 7 21:12:41 BST 2003

About the irc discussion on IRC (about the Jabber server), I want to expose
some of my opinions.

* kde3.org

I think there is no reason to use a different domain for KDE developers.
Jabber is a bit broken in that aspect, it used to use MX records to point a
Jabber server machine from a domain, so kde.org could add a 3rd party hosted
Jabber server to kde.org MX records and we are set, but the spec is
confusing, apparently Jabber now uses SRV record, and clients doesn't follow
the protocol, so if you connect to kde.org they will try to connect to the
kde.org machine instead of looking up MX records or SRV records.

(Daniel can you help us with this, you seem to understand very well the
current spec and how clients support it)

* Open server?

I think KDE.org server should match kde.org email address. Open usage of that
server would make kde.org domain full like hotmail. Matching would make
inter/intra developers communication very simple and powerfull. In the
future, very nice innovative services could use the Jabber server to help
KDE's development process.

Having a different server for kde fans, is not a bad idea, and would show very
well KDE's support for the Jabber IM network. Something like kdeusers.org,
ilovekde.org ...

Feedback welcome

Duncan