KDE Jabber Server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Sep 7 04:13:06 BST 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 05:24:29PM -0400, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2003 2:46 pm, Till Gerken wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 September 2003 17:33, Till Gerken wrote:
> > > I don't know what kind of infrastructure is behind sysadmin at kde.org, so I
> > > don't know who should run the server or how it should be run. I'm quite
> > > sure that if we'd ask, the Jabber folks themselves would host a server
> > > for us or community members would be able to sponsor equipment and
> > > service. (Bart and Ian in #kopete were eager to help out)
> >
> > Ian also suggested to run an open server, like users.kde.org. This way, KDE
> > users who would like to show that could get a users.kde.org JID.
> >
> > This would be quite an effort administration-wise, but I think it would
> > give a great boost to the KDE and Jabber community.
>
> So what would the necessary steps be?  Contact the jabber.org guys and see if
> the offer is still open?

Sure. Even if not, we can just host our own. Jabber servers interconnect
automatically: they try the host with a _jabber._tcp SRV record first[0], then
the MX, then the A (e.g, daniel at fooishbar.org tries SRV
_jabber._tcp.fooishbar.org, then MX fooishbar.org, then A fooishbar.org), so all
we need is a jabberd and a DNS recod.

I can help out if any assistance is needed, having run several (open and closed)
Jabber daemons.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org