KDE Jabber Server

Till Gerken till at tantalo.net
Thu Sep 4 16:33:42 BST 2003

Hello,

this is a repost of a mail I originally sent to kde-devel at kde.org. Martijn
pointed out to me that this list might be more appropriate. Sorry for the
noise.

Anyway, here goes:

Quite a while ago while googling around, I stumbled across a log of a
conversation of (seemingly) people close to the Jabber project, I believe it
was a council meeting. They were talking about ways to promote Jabber, one of
it was to sponsor a Jabber server for the KDE project.

I've been thinking about this over and over again and Jabber sponsored or not,
I think a Jabber server for the KDE project would be a fantastic addition,
especially if this would be made in such a way that everybody's @kde.org mail
addresses would match their Jabber IDs.

Jabber can be used for instant messaging, news broadcasting (headline ticker
etc., so you could get your dot.kde.org headlines in time to your IM
program!), file transfer and many more things. It believe it would not only
improve communication between developers but also between users and
developers.

My thought right now is to restrict the Jabber server to those having CVS
write access, be it translators, developers and so on.

I don't know what kind of infrastructure is behind sysadmin at kde.org, so I
don't know who should run the server or how it should be run. I'm quite sure
that if we'd ask, the Jabber folks themselves would host a server for us or
community members would be able to sponsor equipment and service. (Bart and
Ian in #kopete were eager to help out)

I'm not sure if this was the right list to post to, I originally created a
blog entry at kdedevelopers (http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/180), but
I felt that a discussion on a mailing list might be more appropriate.

Till