KFilterDev weirdness : docs and code not the same

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Oct 28 16:38:13 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 15:13, LuĂ­s Pedro Coelho wrote:
> This API should probably be revised for KDE 4.
> It should be split into an abstract base and a zlib based implementation.
It's already an abstract base - it abstracts the zlib and bzip2 implementations.
I know it's probably difficult to implement a new backend from it, if the
underlying lib doesn't have the same design as the zlib and bzip2 libs,
so maybe a higher level interface is required - but the current KFilterBase
will still make sense - it prevents duplicating a lot of code between
the gzip/zlib and bzip2 implementations.

> It is almost impossible to provide a new filter, even though the filters
> themselves have a very generic interface (read/write, mostly).
Efficient compression is a bit more complex than read/write.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer