Adding a new mimetype

Stefan Kebekus stefan.kebekus at math.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 27 20:12:55 GMT 2003

Hi,

I would like to add a mimetype for compressed DVI files in order to set kdvi
as the default application to open such files. Adding the following file
seems to do the job

===new file: kdelibs/mimetypes/application/x-gzdvi.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Comment=Gzip compressed DVI File
Comment[de]=Mit gzip komprimierte DVI-Datei
Hidden=false
Icon=tgz
MimeType=application/x-gzdvi
Patterns=*.dvi.gz
Type=MimeType
X-KDE-AutoEmbed=true
X-KDE-IsAlso=application/x-gzip
===end of new file

However, I do am understand the mime mechanism very well, and I would
therefore like to ask if adding the file will be a good idea, or if there is
a better way to tell the file manager to use kdvi for *.dvi.gz files.

Yours,

Stefan.