Request: drop kxmlrpc daemon for 3.2

Tim Jansen tim at tjansen.de
Mon Oct 27 19:18:21 GMT 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 15:43, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> As for SOAP support, im not as concerned, no-one has implemented it yet,
> and no-one uses it...

There's a messaging-only implementation in kdenonbeta/kdeutil/kde/ws/soap
which works pretty well. I will overhaul it in the next months though (since
the interfaces that are available in KDE's and Qt's XML interfaces suck
pretty much for data-oriented XML).

Saying that no one uses SOAP is not true, but there are not as many public
interfaces as some people promised (Amazon's SOAP interface to their catalog
is probably the most prominent public interface). SOAP is also used
internally, for instance for connecting SAP ERP systems with the SAP Business
Connector and/or XI.

> useless enough that everyone ignored it.  Also please review how SOAP
> works, you will find its OVERKILL when you try to shoehorn it into dcop,
> unlike XMLPRC which is almost a 1:1 mapping of most types.

That's the problem. A protocol that can fulfill only 95% of the people's needs
will not survive. It doesn't matter that it is simpler when the alternative
is either supporting only the complex protocol or supporting both.

That XmlRPC does not support easy discovery like commercial IDEs allow with
SOAP/WSDL doesn't help either. Many people in the free software world
perceive SOAP as complex because the free APIs and tools are so primitive
compared to the commercial alternatives. Look at the SOAP support in Visual
Studio.Net or JBuilder. In the commercial world SOAP is as easy to use as
DCOP.

> So far ive only seen a few corner cases on the desktop, (some remote query
> engines)...

On the desktop you usually don't see SOAP. If some proprietary app checks
whether there is an upgrade available and uses SOAP for it you just don't
notice it.

bye...