KFilterDev weirdness : docs and code not the same

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Oct 27 11:06:00 GMT 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 11:36, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:22 pm, David Faure wrote:
> >
> > It was the documentation that was incorrect, in fact. See updated docu.
> On documentation, there is a comment in KFilterBase that it is "pretty much
> internal".
Yes, since the API is so close to the way gzip and bzip2 work, and it shouldn't be
used from apps.

> Is it OK to use it for decompressing filters outside of kdelibs?
Yes, it's ok to use it to create a new filter from it.

> I'm looking at trying to provide native support for Andrew Tridgell's rzip
> compression algorithm
OK. I hope the API fits :}

> Also, is it acceptable to only provide decompression?
I guess. No code will end up calling the compression case anyway.
If you add the mimetype in kio_tar (which does all archives type nowadays),
it will use the decompression filter, but that's all.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer