KSSL session reuse bugs

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Wed Oct 22 20:14:58 BST 2003

> > Right now, I feel tempted to move SSL session handling to KIO::Job, so
> > that we have only one transparent implementation for all applications.
> > This is a real world benefit, our SMTP server at work f.e. uses TLS and
> > client certificates to authorize relaying. I'll keep the list posted on
> > the results.
>
>     This might be a good idea, but I'd like to see the implementation first
> and also have David comment on it since he seems to always know the best
> place for things in KIO. :-)

I don't know how far OT this is, but I just want to jump in with my current
SSL-related annoyance :P

I am working on implementing SSL support for Kopete IRC, and have had to
struggle with the poor implementation of KSSL re integration with
KExtendedSocket  I was very surprised there wasn't a "KSecureSocket" or
similar that just extended KExendedSocket with SSL capabilities. The current
KSSL just seems like a very lightweight wrapper around OpenSSL, in that there
are no usefull signals emitted from it when data is ready to be read, etc. I
have my code almost working now, but it would have been much simpler and
cleaner if I could have just dropped in a KSecureSocket and have it "just
work".

Just thought I would bring that up since you're talking about re-working stuff
into KIO::Job, just that a lower-level solution at the socket layer itself is
also needed IMO.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org