"Folder" or "Directory"?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 12:40:18 BST 2003

Hi,

In creating the font-installer KControl module, I wish to display to the
user the number of fonts and folders in the current folder. To do this I was
going to use a similar summary string to that of Konqueror (can't use the
same,
as I want "Fonts" and not "Files"). However, I noticed here that Konqueror
uses the term "Directories", and indeed Konqueror has the "Create new
Directory" option. This I think is a mistake, as the graphic that appears is
of a
folder.

Has any decision been formally reached over whether KDE should use ther term
"folder" or "diretory"? There was a briedf discussion about this before
(last month) - http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=106138638515393&w=2.
The outcome of this seemed to be that file system folders should be named
directories, while non-filesystem folders (like kmail folders) should be named
folders.

As I stated in the previous discusion, I realise the actual file-system
concept is that of creating a "directory" of files (where the directory is
in
fact just a file containing a list of filenames). However, KDE as a UI is
abstracting away from this by using icons of a "folder" - as (I believe)
this is an
easier concept for users to understand (as real life "folders" can contain
pices of paper ("files")). Windows and Mac OSX (I think) both use the term
"Folder"

So - what is it? "Directory" or "Folder"? Should we conduct a poll? I am
willing to go through the code in kdelibs and kdebase to replace "Directory"
with "Folder" - or even vice versa (although I believe that would be a
mistake)
- if a decision can be reached.

Craig.