Reducing icon sets

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Tue Oct 14 10:13:48 BST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:03:58AM +0200, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> And while I see what you're getting at with the large number of icons, I
> think letting "the apps handle it for themselves" would be both bad for
> concistancy and reuse of effort.  Practically speaking that would only
> produce uglier, less concistant apps.

Actually it might not matter much. I believe hicolor was kicked out over a
year ago, yet the Crystal artists haven't even bothered to complete all
icons outside of the main libs/applications yet, despite several requests.

IIRC, hicolor was replaced because it was supposedly "unmaintained", but in
practice, Crystal is maintained even worse - while it's not even complete,
which hicolor was. Sure, the primary icons get polished every other week,
but in the meanwhile half of the application and action icons are still
exact copies from hicolor. If there were completion rules for icon sets like
there are for i18n translations, only few sets would make it and I'm afraid
Crystal wouldn't be one of them.

As application developer, I'm fine with providing my own icons if we switch
back to the only complete set ever to exist: hicolor. It was clear when we
switched to Crystal that application developers could no longer provide
consistent icons themselves.. so any responsibility for missing or
inconsistant icons lies with the Crystal developers.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "In the name of sheer pity, won't someone operate on
cap at capsi.com | Chairman Arafat and put that poor cancer into a cleaner