Fwd: Unable to load MSN protocol plugin

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Tue Oct 7 20:16:22 BST 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 21:03, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> I finally got to look at the libkhtml stuff, here's the relevent stuff
>
>   M +2 -1      Makefile.am   1.148
>   M +4 -13     khtml_factory.cpp   1.32
>
> Committed by Dirk on 10/9/03
>
> I hope this is of some help, it's not the kopete error dialog that is
> the problem, but the underlying
>
> kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol
> "init_kopete_msn"
> kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kopete_msn does not
> offer an init_kopete_msn function
>
> This is hugely reminiscent of the libkhtml problem

Yeah, thanks, this does help. Not because we have the same bug (we use
KGenericFactory, so the symbol is created for us automatically), but because
it made me realize something Simon Hausmann helped me with in Nove Hrady:

martijn at aurora:~> find /usr/local/kde-head -name '*kopete*msn*'
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/kde3/kopete_msn.la
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/kde3/kopete_msn.so
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/kde3/kcm_kopete_msn.la
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/kde3/kcm_kopete_msn.so
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/libkopete_msn.so.0
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/libkopete_msn.so.0.0.0
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/libkopete_msn.la
/usr/local/kde-head/lib/libkopete_msn.so

The Netmeeting plugin needs to link against the MSN plugin. Since linking
against modules is not portable Simon created a shared library that contains
the effective code and which can be shared.

However, this seems to break FreeBSD, which seems to find the lib before the
module.

I have no idea how to fix this portably with FreeBSD, hopefully someone on
core-devel knows.

--
Martijn