KConfig XT: kconfig_compiler & friends

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Oct 1 16:49:47 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:43:45PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> See also http://lists.kde.org/?t=105969166500001&r=1&w=2
>
> I am happy to announce the introduction of KConfigSkeleton / kconfig_compiler
> to kdelibs based on KPrefs / cfgc by Cornelius Schumacher.
>
> The idea of this all is that application developers provide a config
> description file (*.kcfg) that describes the settings used by an
> applications. kconfig_compiler can then be used to generate a C++ settings
> class based on KConfigSkeleton. Such settings class offers a very convenient
> way for the application to access it's settings but it can also be used to
> automatically apply such settings to a settings dialog.
>
> At the moment I have converted kjots, kcalc and kgpg to this new method of
> accessing configuration settings.
>
> I will give some comments on its usage in another mail.
>
> Please note that this is still a work in progress. It's probably not a good
> idea to start making *.kcfg files for your own application just yet. The
> basics seem to be working just fine though and I didn't want to sit any
> longer on the changes to the applications that I have used as testbed.
>
> It's also not unthinkable that any of my changes broke anything in the
> applications affected. If you notice any buggyness related to settings in
> these applications please let me know so that I can fix it.
>
> Still TODO:
> * Offer additional code generation options in order to create classes with a
> minimum of unneeded code.
> * Integrate with build-system in the same way as .ui files are integrated.

Is this stuff right to go in to 3.2? Also, if you let me know how one should
call kconfig_compiler, I'll write the relevant support for unsermake.

Daniel, who can't help but feel this should be done on a post-3.2 branch

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org