[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 23:41:26 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 18:56, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:24:35PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > You're talking major releases here. There is no reason why the
> > protocol handling code shouldn't be updated in a stable branch when
> > the protocol changes.
>
> May I take that liberty for Atlantik and monopd? ;-)
>
> (Actually I haven taken that liberty in 3_1_BRANCH without complaints
> and I'm very careful monopd protocol changes are compatible with
> older clients, monopd CVS sends tons of duplicate messages just for
> backwards compatibility.)
>
> But note, I control monopd releases so I can more easily time these
> changes. In the case of Kopete, it could occur that a plugin for a
> proprietary protocol needs to be changed immediately to keep
> functioning. Giving the time needed for a KDE bugfix release and the
> unavoidable discussions whether such a protocol change justifies
> triggering a new KDE bugfix release when required ahead of schedule,
> I'd say there's a very good argument not to put those plugins in
> kdenetwork.

Why do you think you have to wait for a new KDE bugfix release? Just ask
the packagers/distributors to release new packages of the current state
of kdenetwork in case this should be really necessary. Many packagers
anyway make intermediate releases in case of important bug fixes. So I
fail to understand your problem since I don't think there is one.

Regards,
Ingo