[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Nov 25 20:40:50 GMT 2003

On November 25, 2003 2:54 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> It _is_ needed, unless KDE itself releases more frequently.
>
> Release Early, Release Often, it's that simple.

To quote my other mail:

"I don't know why people keep saying this, it's totally backwards.

Being part of the release cycle is *better* for features. You get a longer
time period to implement and test new features properly, and get proper
planning of what features are needed via release schedules so you can
properly focus your time.

When we aren't using  the KDE release schedule things just turn into a huge
mess. We're releasing every few months, which results in features getting
rushed in and debugged on a part by part basis, instead of considering the
product as a whole and doing them properly from the get-go, which is much
easier when you have 8-10 months do design, develop, refactor, develop...
(repeat as needed), instead of having to freeze the code every 8 weeks for
another release.

Having longer release cycles with proper planning, followed up by extended
freeze periods for testing is a much better plan than the "release early,
release often" statagy many OS projects fall victim to, which in the end
always ends up being "release broken stuff early, fix it, release broken
stuff early again".

That paradigm is great for tacking on features like piecemeal, but it's no way
to develop a properly design application. Over time you just end up with a
huge mess."

>  If we would have a development cycle twice as long that would mean more
features per release, but that's not what we need.

The main thing is it wouldn't mean more features. It would mean properly
implemented, well tested features.

For example, look at our KABC "integration". all it really is is a minor hack
on. There is no real integration whatsoever, and the reason for this is the
3.2 freeze. Now after 3.2 more pieces will be hacked on to try and complete
it, etc etc. It seems like this is all this project does is hack stuff in.
Mainly because there is not enough time between its over-frequent releases to
properly design, develop, re-adjust, redevelop, etc etc a feature to get it
right the first time.

> I think marketing-wise KDE is much better off with more frequent releases
> to keep the buzz going.

Like Till said, leave the marketing to the MBAs. I am more interested in
making solid applications then creating a buzz. If your app is good then it
makes its own buzz without needing to release half-finished features every 4
months.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org