[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 18:54:03 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 19:32, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On November 25, 2003 2:11 pm, Zack Rusin wrote:
> >And look at those changes and see how easy it was to port the changes
> >from head. If it wasn't a problem and you don't predict problems like
> >that in the future, then you can be confident that kdenetwork is the
> >right place.
>
> Indeed, in both cases IIRC it was not that major a change.

Still, both Kopete 0.7.2 and 0.7.4 were released because of protocol changes,
not because of our own schedule.

If we'd have to wait for a KDE 3.2.x point release that would be disastrous.

> I am all for not having a separate release schedule. It's simply not
> needed and a waste of time for everyone.

It _is_ needed, unless KDE itself releases more frequently.

Release Early, Release Often, it's that simple.

Kopete is orders of magnitude smaller than, say, kdelibs. We released 0.6
about the time KDE 3.1 came out. 0.7 was a massive change to that and 0.8
will be part of KDE 3.2. That's two releases in one KDE release. If we would
have a development cycle twice as long that would mean more features per
release, but that's not what we need.

I think marketing-wise KDE is much better off with more frequent releases to
keep the buzz going.

Now, I personally don't really like to move to kde-extragear so close before
KDE 3.2. But I _do_ want to have an extra release halfway the next KDE
release. And I'm afraid Waldo has the better arguments here anyway :(

--
Martijn