[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 18:11:29 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 12:07, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> This isn't really true. The IM protocols do not change very often.
> Changing these protocols is probably quite cost-prohibitive for the
> big IM companies, because every time they change a protocol they're
> losing some users for at least a certain period, and this detracts
> from their ad revenue.

It can change one in 20 years, but the question is what happens if it
changes sometime soon after the release.

> Over the past couple of months we have had two major protocols change
> (MSN and Yahoo), but really, this is the first protocol change I have
> seen at all since joining the project 2 years ago. Though there will
> probably be an OSCAR update at some point in the future, I somewhat
> doubt that it won't be backwards compatable, since AOL still supports
> versions of their connection software from 3 versions back.

And look at those changes and see how easy it was to port the changes
from head. If it wasn't a problem and you don't predict problems like
that in the future, then you can be confident that kdenetwork is the
right place. If you'll see that you do have to have your own releases,
your own schedule or that backporting some of those is simply
impossible, then it's pretty obvious kdenetwork is not the right place.
It's a decision you guys have to make and I don't want to sound like
I'd be opposing Kopete being in kdenetwork, but I am considering the
fact that you have your own release schedule on top of KDE one
downright stupid.

Zack

--
I Wish I Was Barbie. That Bitch has EVERYTHING.