modal dialog locking user's desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 07:35:31 GMT 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 02:59, Unai Garro wrote:
> The fix should be easy: making that dialog non-modal. I don't know if
> there's a reason to keep it modal. That's why I'm sending the e-mail here.

as far as i can see there isn't a reason to keep it modal... the attached
patch adds a KIconDialog::showDialog() method that puts the dialog into a
non-modal mode and uses signals/slots.

i've tested it using both the openDialog() modal and showDialog() non-modal
methods and it works as expected. even clicking the property dialog's Ok or
Cancel buttons when the KIconDialog is up in nonmodal mode works fine..
i tested KPropertiesDialog with these changes from both kicker and konqi...

there should be no changes in behaviour or usage to apps that use
KIconDialog::openDialog(). the only change in behaviour is that the
KIconDialog is no longer modal when called by clicking on a KIconButton, but
I don't see how that would affect anything negatively as KIconButton itself
remains the same, and KIconButton::slotChangeIcon() is private.

is this Ok to commit at this point in the freeze? it does fix a rather obvious
bug that makes kicker look less professional and can lead to real problems as
Unai pointed out in his email...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
"Never weary, never dispair, never give in" - Winston Churchill