What IGS thinks about the Linux Desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 23 21:56:09 GMT 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 01:02, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2003 04:24, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > Many KDE users don't even use KDE, they use xterms, emacs ghostview,
> > > xchat and  mutt - and of course Ooo and Mozilla.
> >
> > two words: bull shit.
>
> Not at all, you just missed the point. The KDE developers are not using
> what the KDE users are using.

with mathias' clarification (s/users/developers/), i now understand what he
meant and agree with that...

> Its easy to spot since otherwise some quite
> easy to spot bugs would have been fixed before the changes were committed.

well, hopefully... this brings up the issue of QA testing, and eating our own
dog food helps that to a certain extent...

> For example it seems clear that no developer appears to use the default
> kicker installation with "small" bar size - since it is so seriously
> broken.

what's wrong with it exactly? it's a bit squozen, yes... especially on
800x600. but that's why the default isn't "small" =)

some things that could help include:

 o not showing the date by default when the clock starts on a small panel
 o showing even fewer icons by default (which one(s)?)

i've got half a patch that does the "don't show the date by default" bit, but
due to kicker's screwed up handling of panel applets it isn't possible to
tell how big the applet will be before heightForWidth (or widthForHeight) are
called, and by that time we need to already have our config read. so it would
require re-reading the config every time the height/width methods were
called, as far as i can see... hardly optimal.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
"Never weary, never dispair, never give in" - Winston Churchill