[RFC] helper binaries

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Nov 23 14:10:16 GMT 2003

moin,

going through my /opt/kde/bin dir, at first sight i see these programs:
- kconf_update_bin/*
- *.kss
- kdontchangethehostname
- kgrantpty
- kio_devices_mounthelper
- kio_http_cache_cleaner
- kioexec
- klocaldomainurifilterhelper
- kpac_dhcp_helper
- kwin_killer_helper
which of none should be located in $bindir, as they are not meant for
end-users and only cause confusion (and useless autocompletions :). the
GNU-designed target for these files is $libexecdir, but nobody has ever
seen such a thing (same with $sharedstatedir). therefore most reasonable
packages store helper binaries in subdirs of $libdir. i feel the strong
urge to follow this model, using libexecdir=$libdir/kde3/bin.

opinions?

greetings

ps: i cheated, i also see kdm_config and kdm_greet, which don't really
belong into $bindir, either. that has an architectural reason, though