KDesktop Focus Issues

Max maxb at xandros.com
Fri Nov 21 21:56:18 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm having some issues with kdesktop doing some focus issues, and am
looking to perhaps fix it.

This is my speculation:

The problem seems to stem from the screensaver engine, installing an x11
event filter.

Occasionally, kdesktop loses focus without it being aware that it has
done so (I'll explain one way below), and continues processing keyboard
events that it's not actually getting.  I think.

This is how I can get the issue to sometimes happen on my system:
Enable a screensaver.
Open konsole, so that it's not a full window.
Right click on a desktop icon, bringing up the popup menu.
While this is up, left-click on konsole, giving it focus.

Now, sometimes (most of th etime?) konsole now gets focus, but the icon
on the desktop is still highlighted (it normally loses it's highlight
when it loses focus).

Now, I can up and down arrow my bash history, and the highlight on the
desktop icons moves too.  If I then press enter, my shell executes a
command *and* kdesktop launches an application.

If a screensaver is not enabled, this does not appear to happen
(although, it's still not aware it's loss focus, it doesn't get the
keyboard events anyways).

Now, I'm not entirely sure how to work around this, or why exactly this
occurs when the x11 event filter is enabled., or if this is even *why*
it happens.

(nb: I am using the xandros customized version of kdesktop, however, I
don't believe any changes we've made affects this).

Any ideas?
Max
(please CC: me, I'm not on the list.)