deeper freeze

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Nov 12 11:50:52 GMT 2003

Quoting Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org>:

> About Quanta status: we had a severe bug in Quanta since some time, which
> causes very poor (= unusable) editing of certain PHP files. It was reported
> several times on the mailing lists, in private mails, and there is even on
> bug report for it. Now the situation is that fixing this bug was not trivial
> and requires some reorganization in the parser code. I delayed the work on
> it until the feature freeze, so before that I can focus on implementing new
> features and as soon as we are in feature freeze I can focus on fixing bugs,
> including this.

This is more or less I think the same situation that a number of application
maintainers face with a "deeper freeze".  It's simply a scheduling issue; many
of us planned on having the freeze time to work on bugs in code that we
maintain.  Before the freeze many people spent time implementing planned
features and expected to have more time to fix bugs after the freeze -- I
think this is the way things have traditionally worked.

Developers are almost by nature procrastinators -- if we assumed that we'd
have time to do some of this stuff later, it's probably not done yet.  :-)

With this semi-revision to the release plan it does take away some of this
previously planned time and will make this week very busy.  ;-)

-Scott