patches for Sun Forte 7/8 compilers

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Mon Nov 3 21:41:45 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> About signal/sigaction: i don't know if it is possible to do |=
> SA_RESTART or |= SA_INTERRUPT in signal()

That's indeed only possible with sigaction.

> are purely SVR4 things, and on SunOS they are very necessary --
> before i installed these, the kio subsystem would dump core
> unexplainably for no apparent reason. these core dumps magically went
> away when i used SA_RESTART.

Hmm.  That means some loops using syscalls are not written with that in
mind (that's not your bug of course).  Okay, that means this is necessary
on Solaris, but possibly we could at least streamline the signal stuff to
use sigaction everywhere, where present.

> also, forte sometimes complains about
> using ::signal() and non "extern C" linkage of signal handlers.

These are bugs which should be fixed in the source.  signal handlers have
to use "C" linkage.

> the problem with setting FD_SETSIZE in "config.h" is that "config.h"
> is not always the first file being #includ'ed. :-)

That's a bug too.  If config.h is included it has to be included first.

> and if FD_SETSIZE is not reset before any #include's, it will not do its
> trick.  basically FD_SETSIZE has to be reset before any references to
> anything which touches the standard C library.

Yes, I understood that part of the problem.  (Still it would be better to
only do this for applications necessary, but that's a different issue).

> i very much agree that this is not the most elegant way of doing
> things by any means. but i have only started working on kde proper
> since end of december 2002.

The work is _very_ much appreciated.  So that the people forced to use
SunOS at least can use a real GUI ;-)

Ciao,
Michael.