Pressing and releasing the Win-key opens the K-Menu

Ellis Whitehead ellis at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 22:14:14 BST 2003

On Monday 31 March 2003 17:55, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> /me looks down at his Apple keyboard and grumbles about more hardcoded keys
> that do random things....

*grin*  This problem is painfully apparent for users coming from the Apple
world...  I tried getting something reasonable working for Mac keyboards for
KDE 3.0, and it just wasn't to be achieved because the meaning of the Ctrl
and Alt keys is hard-coded into Qt.

> Maby we need  a more flexable way to access/deal with these special keys.
> Im still wondering what this <email> key does here 8)

One of the problems is that keyboards with extended keys are rarely configured
with the correct X keyboard map, and so the keys can't even be properly
addressed...  Assuming the right map is being used, however, it would be good
to get a convenient interface for assigning the extended keys to execute
specific actions.  I've been thinking about how to do this for the last few
days.  If you have any suggestions, let me know. ;)

Regards,
Ellis