GMOME, KDE Developers' Open Statement on XFree86

Vadim Plessky vplessky at faringosept.ru
Sun Mar 30 07:52:39 BST 2003

On Sunday 30 March 2003 01:54, Daniel Stone wrote:
|  On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:11:04AM +0300, Vadim Plessky scrawled:
|  > On Tuesday 25 March 2003 10:12, Daniel Stone wrote:
|  > |  On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:29:55AM +0100, Kurt Pfeifle scrawled:
|  >
|  > [...]
|  >
|  > |  > Also, I think a statement like the above was even appropriate if
|  > |  > the direct invitation hadn't been issued. What would you do if
|  > |  > there *was* a fork in XFree86? You'd possibly have to *decide*
|  > |  > (instead of just comment) -- decide which one of the forks you'd
|  > |  > start to support first (even if you wanted to support both in the
|  > |  > end)... You'll be forced to *decide* something about the mess (or
|  > |  > the chance, depending on your point of view): in other words, you'd
|  > |  > "get your hands dirty" and "interfere in other project's politics",
|  > |  > as you see it....
|  > |
|  > |  My decision has been made. KDE cannot make a decision until anything
|  > |  happens, so making a statement saying "we don't know what's going on,
|  > |  and can't make a decision until we do", is dumb.
|  >
|  > If we want new features for KDE being added (at XFree86 level) - we need
|  > to influence Xfree86 development. I don't see another option.
|
|  How much communication have you attempted with XFree86 via the
|  devel at xfree86.org and xfree86 at xfree86.org channels, as well as direct
|  communciation with developers?

A lot! :-)
You may want to check <devel at xfree86.org>, I am subscribed to that list with
to many off-topic mails.
Besides, I am on XSVG mailing list, Carl Worth and Keith Packard are
subscribed to it.  (Carl is key developer behind Xr/Xc/XSVG)

I also have some off-list communication with several XFree86 (ex-)developers.
--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net