[kde-promo] (fwd) NX Project Announcement

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Mar 29 00:51:26 GMT 2003

Dirk Mueller wrote on kde-promo:

> Hi,
>
> might be interesting.

Definitely it *IS* interesting -- even more than that.

I am testdriving NX since a few days and this is by *far* the fastest
"remote destop-ing" system I have ever seen. The performance across
an internet link is really astonishing. It is better than what I have
even on my LAN (or via a crosslink cable between desktop and laptop)
using krdc/krfb! (I was able to connect to an NX controlled X session
on a remote RedHat system. From inside that session I connected via RDP
to a Win XP box and played "Pinball". With a bad connection I wouldn't
have scored   631750  points at first attempt, would I?

My excitement about this is just as big as it was when I first explored
the potential of CUPS nearly 4 years ago...  ;-)

I ask everybody who is interested in this to just get yourself a testdrive
account once (you can always leave it alone if you don't like it). [Be warned:
you will be encountering a semi-broken RedHat desktop there -- but I think
Gian Filippos offer to help develop an Open Source version of NX is
worth while exploring.]

A KDE version of NX could be a reall killer application for its usage
on the desktop in large offices and organizations.

NX seems to be able provide (clustered) application servers, which can
serve and satisfy hundreds or even thousands of client machines. It will
open the door to a new kind of "network computing" for many users.

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.: Hmmm... and what is it good for regarding kde-promo? All these
       unpatient developers who at fairs and shows want to present their
       latest and greatest unstable CVS code in action can do so now...
       just conned from the PC on the booth home to your developer
       box and crash that in an NX window instead of the one which is
       needed to satisfy the visitors   ;-)