RFC: KConfig XT (KDE 3.2)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Mon Mar 17 07:04:58 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 March 2003 00:18, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:09:49AM -0500, Zack Rusin scrawled:
> > On Sunday 16 March 2003 23:40, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I also have a project on SourceForge for a fully 3D-rendered OS!
> > >
> > > Most projects in kdenonbeta are, to quote Neil, in "Stage -1:
> > > Pure unadulterated vapour"[0].
> > >
> > > Saying "it's been there for ages, go look, you stupid monkey",
> > > isn't really a valid argument when "there" is kdenonbeta.
> >
> > And the point being?
>
> Just because something is in kdenonbeta doesn't mean that everyone
> should've seen it. Even if they did, expecting it to not work, or to
> contain nothing more than a KAppTemplate, is an entirely reasonable
> expectation.

Hmm, yes, that is the point. It's just that it's the point that I was
making and I was kind of more interested in the one you were trying to
make.
The reason why it's in kdenonbeta is exactly because not everyone should
see it and even if they did they shouldn't be using it or even expect
it to work. It's there for people who explicitly wanted it and not for
people who just happened to write kconfedit on the command line to see
if something pops up, that's exactly the reason why it doesn't even
have a menu item.
So I'm not gonna argue your above point since that's the side I'm
arguing for. If you want to insult me then it'd be just swell if you
could take the opposing side, whichever it might be. First you argue
that no one should ever use an application like KConfEdit and no one
should even know we'll have something like it. Then you find out that
we in fact already do have an application like that and no one who
doesn't need it knows about it, so you start arguing that it's bad that
it's in kdenonbeta because users won't be able to use it or even know
about it.
I mean sure, it's great to take both sides in a discussion and argue for
both of them because you're sure to win, but try not to make it so
obvious because it just looks silly.

> But you're being a fascist, just like Hitler.

And you're being googoojeree just like John Travolta (I just didn't want
you to be the only person who uses a term he doesn't have a clue about
with a name you heard in a movie)

Zack

--
life is what happens during long compiles.