RFC: KConfig XT (KDE 3.2)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 18:45:51 GMT 2003

On Saturday 15 March 2003 10:38, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Goals
> =====
>
> * Have the default value for config entries defined in 1 place.
> Currently it is not uncommon to have them defined in three places:
>   1) In the application that reads the setting in order to use it
>   2) In the settings dialog when reading the setting
>   3) In the settings dialog when selecting "Use defaults".
>
> * Provide type-information about config entries to facilate
> "KConfEdit" like tools. Ideally type-information also includes
> range-information.
>
> * Facilitate the documentation of config entries.

This sounds simply amazing :) Now the two question I have are:
1) what is the timeframe in which you want to achieve that? In any case,
if you'll need some help coding I'd love to take some of the load on
me.
2) Do you plan to finish it before 3.2 and if so did you think about BC?
The KConfig design throughout its lifetime got really convoluted and I
know Ian has been working on KConfig NG with the goal of improving the
design, but this changes simply can't be BC. As long as entryMap stuff
is not used they could be source compatible, but that's probably it.
Maybe it would be a good time to think about that too.

Zack

--
Which is worse: Ignorance or Apathy?
Who knows? Who cares?