RFC: KConfig XT (KDE 3.2)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 17:09:24 GMT 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 16:37, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> That's the plan that I already proposed last year. Nothing really happened
> to that because the requirement was that
>
> a) the default values are still hardcoded in the application so the
> programmer only needs to have one place to keep track of them
> b) add the ability during the make install process to dump *all* values
> into the config file that gets installed.
>
> This way you're making absolutely sure that even if the config file is
> missing the application runs without coredumping or misbehaving due to a
> missing config file. This is an absolute requirement.

Drop it and you will have instantly solved your second point.

If you're religious about it you could even keep the default values in the
application as long as there is understanding that the they are only there to
cover the "user-install-error" case an that the real defaults are provided by
the global config file.

> The second is that you need to make sure that even when you change or add a
> setting that this will end up in the default config file without the
> programmer making the mistake of only changing the value in the code but
> not the default config file. Therefore the best is to call the application
> with a --dump-config or --dump-defaults during make install or in the make
> process to actually write the defaults file.

Given the amount of problems that running meinproc gives on some platforms I
don't think that running actual applications during make install is a very
good idea.

> Maybe that helps bringing up the ideas from last year again.

URL?

Cheers,
Waldo