Enhanced MacOS style top menu bar

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Mar 12 13:42:57 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 12 of March 2003 02:09, Chris Lee wrote:
> Hmmm. Would anyone object to including at least the changes to
> kmenubar.{h,cpp}? They don't really change anything from the current
> behavior, and if nobody objects, I'll commit.
>
> Comments on including the Kicker applet?

 I have been fixing KMenuBar from time to time during the last year, so I
suppose that makes me kind of a maintainer. I remember talking twice(?) to
somebody on IRC about this, once it was IIRC Mosfet, I don't remember who was
the second one, but it could be possibly the author of this code.

 I don't like the way this patch handles docking to the applet. It should not
be the menubar who embeds itself into the applet, but it should be the applet
who embed the menubar into itself. The application should simply know either
the menubar should be normal, or it should be standalone, and in the latter
case it should simply make the menubar a toplevel window, and that's about
it. It shouldn't care whether it's docked in some applet or placed along the
top screen edge. That way it should be more robust, general, and without
duplicating so much code in kmenubar.cpp .

 I can help with KWin (KWinModule,NET::*, whatever will be needed).

> -clee
>
> On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 11:27  AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if you follow this link
> >   http://www.liacs.nl/home/snijssen/kmenuapplet/
> > you will find the code of someone who took his time to code something
> > along that line (fetched out of my bookmarks, in the folder
> > "interesting
> > additions").
> >
> > But don't ask me why it has never been included into KDE mainstream.
> > Maybe the author didn't do enough promotion or did it at noisy times.
> >
> > I would like to have it in KDE, too. This way the MACOS-styled bar
> > makes
> > more sense to me. For small resolutions there would be really a gain in
> > screen space.
> > If I understood the GNOME screenshots correctly they already have such
> > MAC-style top bar (search below http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2), so
> > there shouldn't be any legal conflicts.

 That's just the kdesktop-style menubar, it doesn't work like macmenu. AFAIK
we're the only ones having macmenu-like menubar (besides Apple), so I
wouldn't be that sure about this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer