Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Mar 12 11:06:34 GMT 2003

Am Tuesday 11 March 2003 18:57 schrieb Neil Stevens:
> On Tuesday March 11, 2003 08:02, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’d like to propose replacing the existing KControl font installer
> > module with a fonts ioslave. I’ve already started hacking on this (only
> > for a couple of days) – but I wanted to ask if people thought that this
> > would be a better idea than the KControl module before I went too far.
> > See
> > http://members.lycos.co.uk/cpdrummond/kfontinst-kio.png for a
> > screenshot, and
> > http://members.lycos.co.uk/cpdrummond/kfontinst-kio-0.01.tar.gz for the
> > source code as is.
>
> Please don't do this.  KIO is a nice flexible backend tool, but it's a
> lousy user interface.  Konqueror is nice for viewing files, but it's not a
> generic system administration tool.  Please don't force users to treat it
> as one.

While I generally agree with that, I still think that the way Craig is showing it
to the user is intuitive and I for one generally don't need more to know about
fonts as what fonts are there, how to add new ones and how they look rendered.
Everything else are details I don't want to know about :)

Greetings, Stephan