An user point of view on KDE and the glib issue

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Tue Mar 11 19:02:06 GMT 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 09:21:28 at 09:21:28AM -0800, Adam Treat (manyoso at yahoo.com) wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 10:00, M. Fioretti wrote:
> > This (and the underlying assumption that the active KDE developers
> > know what is always better for all users, and want to deliver it as an
> > "all or nothing" bundle) is as Microsoftish as it can get. Quite
> > scary, if you ask me
>
> That is a crazy statement.  Consider:
>
>(statements repeated substituting MacOs, X11, Java... to KDE above)

Mac can't even be unbundled from its HW, so I don't know how much
fitting a comparison it is.

X11, as far as the desktop user is concerned, is nothing different
from the kernel or the bios. The desktop user wants to see sharp
pictures and accelerated 3D, ignoring what voodoo black box produced
 them, and still be
able to combine whatever mix of *applications* (again, by user here I
mean the potential user of *some* KDE products, or the one who is
forced to mix KDE and no KDE things). Repeat with GNOME.
So, I don't see how X11 goes into the current picture. On Java, I'll
step back and let somebody else answer. I'll just note that, whatever
the outcome of your technical argument on Java vs kdelibs is, I still
fail to see why it should lead to different file formats (as any other
of my arguments, I think the same w.r.t to Gnome).

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship.
					      Ralph Nader