Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Tue Mar 11 20:18:08 GMT 2003

Moin,

On Dienstag März 11 2003 20:24, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 20:01, David Faure wrote:
> > Once again, this would be "in addition to", not "as a replacement to",
> > the kcm.
>
> Hmm, this isn't what the subject of the thread says...
> But if you (Craig) really suggest to remove all of kfontinst, how will the
> current features of kfontinst remain? (the settings etc.)

I'm also against removing kcmfontinst like we have it now. It is working fine
for me and the only idea I have for a kioslave is using it behind the scenes.
kcmfontinst copies to font:/somewhere and the kioslave takes the settings
from the kcm and does all the hard work. That way you have both a simple dnd
interface and a nice kcm. The kcm would also be used for actually configuring
the ioslave.

> PS: I'm no experienced user of kfontinst at all. I just started it and was
> very surprised not to see it list all the fonts that are currently
> available on the system.
> It lists no font at all, only 3 empty folders "override", "TrueType",
> "Type1". I hope kio_fonts will always list all the available fonts :)
> (parsing XftConfig to get the paths, if necessary?)

If you don't have your fonts in something like
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/[TrueType,Type1,Speedo,75dpi,misc] then you have to
configure that before, that's what preferences-dialogs are for :)

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn_AT_gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein