Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Tue Mar 11 20:28:04 GMT 2003

> > All versions of Windows since 95, Mac OS, and Gnome all do this the same
> > way. Why should KDE be different, just "for the sake of being
> > different"? Not a good plan.
>
> Oh, so just forget about what KDE users are familiar with, then?
>
> Whatever.  Go copy Windows.  I recommend you start by licensing kio font to
> prohibit modification and redistribution.  That's what the Windows users
> you care so much about are used to.

Do you always argue for the sake of argument? Sorry for getting personal, but
I've read lots of your emails and you just seem to always take an opposing
viewpoint - and never really explain why.

I'm not saying kio_fonts is the best way - which is why the original email
asked if I should continue in this vein. Whay not be more constructive? The
existing KControl module - which I wrote - is very limited in its
file-management stuff. Adding more and more of this int the KControl version
is silly - when Konqueror already provides this.

Also saying "what KDE users are familiar with" is a bit rich - at least RedHat
and Mandrake don't install Kfontinst by default.

However, if the orverall opition is that the Kcontrol module is better - then
fair enough I'll leave as is. But *I* think that kio_fonts is a *far* more
intuitive and *simpler* way to deal with font *files*. I personally think the
best way is to have some sort of button on the "fonts" module to launch
konqeror at fonts:/

> - --
> Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com

Craig.