glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 18:53:15 GMT 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 07:11:04PM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it really feels like, while reading those documents, that one is simply
> looking around and saying, "Light weight IPC is a Good Idea(tm), therefore we
> need to introduce it to GNOME and trump the existing system there and ignore
> extending KDE's already existent and robust IPC mechanism for political
> reasons. maybe we can leverage this into Apache and other projects by making
> it an inescapable de facto standard." that's reading between the lines, i
> know, but that's how it comes off.

I hope that's not the point, as I don't even know how Apache
could/would use D-BUS. ;-)

> i assume (but feel free to prove me wrong ;) that you are actually thinking
> something more like, "Light weight IPC is a Good Idea(tm), let's make
> something like, but better than, DCOP (and here's why we can't simply extend
> DCOP) that everyone can use if they see the need for such capabilities on
> Linux. Let's make it so good (both technically and license-wise) that
> everyone will choose it for their light-weight IPC needs for the following
> reasons: blah blah blah." if this is close(r) to your thoughts (which,
> guessing by reading the COPYING file it is), then that needs to be
> communicated clearly. IIF you want easy buy-in from other projects, of
> course.

This sounds more right, obviously.

> so far, i'd like to suggest that the way DBus has hit the scene has NOT been
> useful nor good. i've already had numerous user requests to me personally
> (why do they do that?!?!?!) to explain DBus + KDE and what it all means. i've
> also been involved in some developer <-> developer discussions that went the
> same way. there is already unecessary damage control to be done.

Well, you know. I do my best. I think people are wanting explanations
of things that simply are not figured out or still up in the air.

Some people sit around demanding explanations, and others go in and
help *develop* the explanations. If we really want to get things done,
we should do the latter.

Havoc